Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Library that Could

As I type this, sitting in the library at school, an interesting thought has come upon me.

I look to my left, and an overweight girl is undressing while boisterously laughing with her friends about how she resembles Grizabella from the musical Cats. I look to my right, and there is a group of dance majors using a radiator for balance as they prepare for a midterm in dance class. I look straight ahead— a group of four giggly girls and one overly outrageous boy discuss the relevance of photos posted to a friends' facebook page.

What do all of these things have in common? It really doesn't matter. What does matter is the fact that I am in the library, and all of these people have a blatant disregard for civility. Where is one supposed to go in order to study if the library is full of people dancing, laughing, and talking on the phone?

I believe that this library is just simply a hidden metaphor for a society that has completely gone to shit. I wonder if things like this happen downtown in the NYU Law Library…

No comments: